Lifestyle - Fashion - Hair - Animals

Tuesday 22 September 2015

Pet Tips: Things you need to know before owning a Sphynx cat

Hi Folks!

Have you ever looked at an exotic pedigree cat and thought 'I so want one of those'.. like in particular a Sphynx? Because I sure have and for numerous years, I think since I was a teen I have always want to re-home a gorgeous Sphynx kitty.


Well now I finally am the proud owner of a pedigree Sphynx called Gadget and really felt that after five months it was time to do a blog post and share my inside wisdom of a few tips you definitely need to know before owning one. These are the top things you need to know from a new Sphynx owner...

1. They are very needy cats
Imagine this breed is the cat version of dogs, no seriously they really can be like that annoying dog your friend might have that won't leave you alone every time you visit. I mean imagine him/her wanting affection non stop... it sounds amazing and trust me it can be but they never stop with it. They require attention 24/7 and you need to be ready for this, I mean really ready and to help you out it is advised to never re-home a Sphynx on it's own, it is always advised to re-home them in pairs. They require a lot of attention and it'll be great if they have a friend to spend time with when you are away. In case you were unaware Sphynx are unable to be outdoor cats so they need as much enrichment as possible like toy's and climbing frames because they like to explore.

Also they are sooooooo loud, I am not exaggerating and this is why I am giving you this information first and foremost. Sphynx cats are vocal cats indeed... get ready to loose hours of sleep and feel like you can't do anything without your little furless baby noticing because they are very intelligent kitties and notice everything.

2. They need to be warm 24/7 - even in the Summer 
Your heating bill could escalate big time making sure they are always warm. Buying cute clothes is good but not always the best solution so invest in as many quality blankets and beds as possible and always have a bed near a radiator because it is their favourite spot in the house..... next to snuggling up to you at night. I always find Gadget in between my legs most mornings it get less weird as time goes by.



3. Be careful of feeding times - they have very sensitive tummies 
From what I have experienced Sphynx will eat everything in sight and feed as though they have never eaten before, but it might not agree with their tummies. Don't think stocking up on cheap dry food will do to keep them filled up, you have to spend money to make sure they are eating the right foods and often, more food equals more energy. The absence of fur means Sphynx cats are using up so much more energy to keep warm then cats with fur.

Most of them can not tolerate dry food and have IBS, so you will find yourself spending more money on wet food. I also buy chicken and fish fillets to cook as treats every few days just as extra to keep my kitty full of good protein, but you can find out other tricks and different foods to help them filled up online such as scrambled egg, tuna etc.

4. They must be bathed every week
Although they have no fur, their skin gets really mucky fast leaving those precious white bed sheets of yours a mess and they can get pretty stinky too. Bathing them once a week or once every two weeks max is a must! You can also spot clean them with baby wipes, you wouldn't believe the state of the wipe afterwards. In addition to this you have to clean out their ears and clip their claws... they might not like it but a clean kitty is better then a stinky kitty.




5. Not everyone see's how fabulous and regal they are
I have had so many mixed comments about my baby Gadget and some are not nice, so be prepared for the honesty of some people when they meet your kitty. The term 'ewww' is an often remark I hear. But they are beautiful cats and you either love them or hate them, clearly if you're reading this you must love them right? Don't listen to other people, they haven't got a clue just how fabulous these cats are inside and out.




Like I say this is from my experience - you gain so much more information about Sphynx cats in books, online and from your local vet. Although I seem to have complained a fair bit in this post I have to give a honest opinion on what comes with owning this pedigree cat. There's really no point in sugar coating this because it's just the way it is.

If you are ready and willing to 'put up' with the bad that comes with the awesome... because owning a Sphynx is awesome I must admit, then go ahead and please don't forget to share photos with me I would love to see him/her and know how you're getting on.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to leave a comment or contact me on Twitter/Instagram @domaniquesings.


Doma-Nikki....x
Share:

No comments

Blogger Template Created by pipdig