Lifestyle - Fashion - Hair - Animals

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Dear 16 year old me: Melanoma Cancer

Hi All!

This is a more serious post for you all, something that has been playing on my mind a lot recently and that is the subject of how precious life is. Firstly, don't get me wrong I have always known that life is precious, but we always that a bit more notice when someone close to us takes ill. For me I took more notice when I worked at the Funeral Directors two years ago. What was it for you?

I do think that people find that it can affect all of us at one point in our lives and we do often then not get affected either by sudden death or by a illness. One of the most common illnesses I want to discuss is Cancer.

As you might already be aware Richard's dad was diagnosed with lung cancer last year which I briefly mentioned here. Since then Richard did a sponsored run for Cancer Research and raised an amazing £300+. His dad, John has also since recovered and well on his way to receiving 'the all clear' which are the words we have been hoping for throughout this time.

Now onto the reason for this post; I believe there are so many people out there that adore using sunbeds or sunbathing or just leaving their homes in the heat and not using SPF sun cream. We need to protect our skin from skin cancer at all times. Please watch this video......




After watching this it really made me think, I do not use sun beds but I do sunbathe all the time during holidays and warmer UK summers. I do use SPF sun cream for sun bathing but not for daily use... I will start doing this after watching this video. Please do the same.

Any thoughts and comments are welcome.

Doma-Nikki...x
Share:

4 comments

Catherine Lux said...

I completely agree! I had an Aunt die of Melanoma Skin Cancer a few years ago, she was only in her early 40's, since then and since I lived in Australia, I have always used suncream on a daily basis during the warmer summer months. In Australia its such a huge thing and they're really big on using suncream, you get it free at beaches and in cafes near the beaches, I wish the UK would do more about it and encourage people to use suncream daily. When living in Australia it became part of my daily beauty regime, I would get up in the morning, shower, and then cover myself in suncream like I would a moisturiser, and since moving back to London I have continued regime this during the summer months. I hope I never end up with Skin cancer and in the amount of pain my Aunt was in towards the end of her life.

Thank you for highlighting this and sharing your views.
Catherine
x

http://www.catherine-lux.blogspot.com/

GabriellaSofia said...

This post really touched me. Good on you for tackling serious issues on your blog as well as beauty! I'm Tweeting the link for your page as we speak.
Love
gabriellasofia
http://hautefuture.blogspot.com/
x

Anonymous said...

I'll right away snatch your rss feed as I can not in finding your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly let me recognize so that I may just subscribe. Thanks.
Razor A2 Kick Scooter

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I've joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post. Also, I've shared your site in my social networks!
Timberland Women's Earthkeepers Mount Holly Tall Lace Duck Boot

Blogger Template Created by pipdig